WARNING: If you don't like distressing, sandpaper, hutches or antiques you may want to skip out on this post.
Hope I didn't lose anyone. Thanks for staying, if you did. :)
Back to the hutch. I got this hutch from a friend who (brace yourself) was holding it for some woman who was in jail and wasn't going to get out so she stored all of her stuff in his garage because he is too nice and can never say "No"..plus his daughter was dating her son and he felt obligated....etc.etc. etc! True story. Anyways, I got a hutch out of it. Good deal! Ha!
I decided to take out some of the stemware and throw in more antiques and silver that I received from my grandma and great-grandma's stashes:
Loving the antique, worn items against the newer glasses up top!
How cute is that Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls cookbook from 1957 up there? Super cute, if you ask me.
Oh, and if you are in a pinch and happened to have lost your egg-weigher...have no fear:
I've got my egg scale right here for ya (Who uses an egg scale anyways? Someone in the early 1900's does, that's who.).
After some elbow grease, here's what I got:
Hello, beautiful worn and torn-ness.
Subtle, but a tad bit less boring. Looks like she has been through a few things in life--nothing major, just some bumps along the road. I must add that, halfway through the sanding and scraping, I start to worry about the possibility of lead paint and begin to feel nauseous. I am paranoid and a hypochondriac.
I have two more pieces of furniture calling my name. I will be tending to them at some point in the near future. One is a buffet table from my grandma's house that will be used as a TV stand in the living room. The other is a bookcase from my other grandparent's house. I have no idea where I will put it, but I will be getting my hands on that too! Oh, how I love antiqueyness in my house.
Love,
Wanna-be Antique Refurbisher Extraordinaire









When do I get to raid someone's garage? I need a hutch I can actually paint! Not fair.
ReplyDeleteNicely done, cousin o' mine! I'm too chicken to distress anything. Teach. Me.
ReplyDeleteA paintable hutch for you, Rach, is a must. Come hunting with me one weekend and we will find you some goodies at an antique shop! :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I will show you the way, Ash. You will feel fulfilled in the end...trust me!